Sunday, July 16, 2017

Rose in Bloom; and a Clever Thank-You Note

ROSE IN BLOOM
On Sunday, July 2, while we were in Juneau, we went to church in the morning. At the close of the service, my long-time friend Kathy brought me something very special. It was a book by Louisa May Alcott, Rose in Bloom.


As I held it in my hands I felt it was very familiar, and I did remember having read it as a child. Then Kathy explained that she had found this book at a used book store, and when she saw what was written inside the front cover, she knew she had to buy it for me. 


On the right it reads: "1961 To Linda from Louise & Liz." Below that it says, "Lucas personal," which I assume means that the book had belonged to Liz before they gave it to me.

I found it really amazing that my friend Kathy was the one to find this book and return it to its long-lost owner, who was going to see Liz and Louise that very week, for the first time in 11 years! What a treasure! If Clara hasn't already read it, I know where its next home will be.

CLEVER THANK-YOU NOTE
We have made some very special friends since placing membership at the Salado church. One couple - Kay and Andy - has been especially instrumental in making us feel welcome, helping us get to know others, and including us in lots of fun times and interesting activities. And it was Andy who got up in the wee hours of the morning to get us to the Austin Airport by 6 a.m. on the morning we left for Juneau.

We wanted to bring them a gift from Alaska, just to thank them for being such good friends. Dan was the one who came up with the idea of getting them a set of Russian nesting dolls (remember, Alaska was owned by Russia before it was purchased, in 1867). The ones we picked out were Christmas ones. This morning Kay handed me an envelope.


I opened it, and found, to my great delight, a set of nesting envelopes, each succeeding one with the next phrase of a message, thanking us for the nesting dolls. Clever, clever Kay!



No comments: