Thursday, March 24, 2016

What's Happening?

DNA GENEALOGY WORKSHOP
On Saturday morning I drove to Waco to attend an all-day workshop on how DNA testing can benefit genealogy research. I learned a lot, but came away feeling like I had only dipped my toe into the deep ocean of this subject matter. It was almost like learning a new language, with vocabulary like: mitochondrial DNA, autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, haplogroups, STRs (short tandem repeats), and SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms). I found it interesting, although I came away with a mere inkling of how this all works. I'm not ready, yet, to have my DNA tested. I want to make sure that I have enough knowledge to use the results before I invest in the testing.


SOLD!
Mom moved out of her house, which was located in a senior community in Carlsbad, NM, in July of 2014, when she moved to Texas to be near us. That means her house has been on the market, now, for 19 months. And FINALLY it has sold! It was becoming a burden, since a rather large maintenance fee had to be paid every month. It was a great relief to bring closure to this, the last major piece of Mom's estate.

RIGHT OF PASSAGE
For people, there are several rights of passage . . . learning to drive, graduating from school, getting a first job, etc. Well, our little sapling of a red oak tree, which we got from the City of Temple last fall, survived the winter and its buds have swollen and are beginning to pop open with tiny little leaflets. And today our baby tree experienced a true right of passage -- having a bird rest in its branches! Don't you think it looks proud?! :-)


No comments: