Wednesday, May 7, 2014

If You Never Try, You'll Never Know

When was the last time you tried something new?

My friend, Janet, has been going to Barbara's art class for a couple of years now, and has become quite accomplished in her chosen medium, acrylics. When I casually expressed an interest in water colors, Janet twisted my arm and convinced me to come to class with her. So, at the end of March, I signed up for the class and started attending the once-a-week two-hour sessions. If nothing else, it gives Janet and me some quality time together every week.

Janet's current painting project. She's doing this for one of her daughters.

Our teacher, Barbara, insists we master some drawing skills before we move on to any kind of painting. Everyone in the class is at a different skill level; I'm the newest and, therefore, at the most elementary level. I don't know how long I'll be restricted to drawing, but I'm actually enjoying it. She started me off on line drawings. Here's one of the early ones I did. As you can see, I used a grid to get my proportions right.



I've moved on, now, to drawing-and-shading. My first shading exercise was a grapefruit. And then this rose, which I started last week and finished in class yesterday.


I'll never be a Grandma Moses, or (for my Alaskan friends) a Rie Munoz, but I'm enjoying the challenge. Retirement is such fun!



No comments: