Wednesday, November 13, 2013

52 in 2013 - #33 Theme of the Week: Food

This is what I call "Linda's Giant Salad." It is what I eat, almost every day, for lunch. And I love it!

This salad has more calories and carbs than you might expect, but it is my biggest meal of the day and seems to be working for me. I'm still doing well at keeping my blood glucose levels normal, without any medication, and maintaining my weight loss. In the past 14 months, I've lost a total of 76 or 77 lbs. (depending on the day), but have lost no significant weight in the past couple of months. Maybe I need to cut Linda's Giant Salad in half and start eating Linda's Medium-Sized Salad for lunch. Or maybe I should just eliminate the pickled beets and the crispy onions.

Linda's Giant Salad totals 360 calories and 32 grams of carbs. If I eliminated the beets and crispy onions (recent additions to the recipe, anyway), I could cut it to 280 calories and 19 carbs. Yes . . . I concede, I need to make those changes.

Sometimes I think that I burn up a lot of the calories just in the process of chopping up all of these ingredients:

Romaine lettuce
Spinach leaves
Cucumber slices
Grape tomatoes
Red bell peppers
Celery
Carrots
Black olives
Pickled beets
Cauliflower (missing in this photo)
Chopped crispy bacon
Chopped almonds
French fried onions
Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing

3 comments:

Lois said...

Looks very tempting.

Anonymous said...

Your salad looks delicious! Sounds like a lot of work, though! :) Genie

Chesney said...

Oh this looks yummy...think I may need to try it! Congrats on your stats, you are doing great.