Friday, July 5, 2013

PT Graduation

I'm four weeks and two days post surgery. The physical therapist supervisor came to the house today to evaluate my progress and make his recommendation for moving forward. He recommended no further therapy, other than the exercises that I am doing on my own -- lots of flexing and stretching. He'd like to see my knee flex another ten degrees, but says I should have no problem getting to that point on my own. I'm at 110 degrees now.

He encouraged me to resume normal activities, as much as possible. The only thing that is holding me back a bit is the hip pain I've been experiencing. I have been attributing it to my sciatic nerve, but he feels it is more likely muscular in nature and could have been brought on by my new gait, and by the fact that my leg is probably a wee bit longer than it was pre-surgery. He thinks that some deep tissue massage would ease that pain, and recommends that I make an appointment with a massage therapist for that.

My next appointment will be on July 22, for my six-week appointment with the surgeon. Hopefully he will give me the green light to start driving at that time.

I have continued to lose weight since the surgery. I'm now down 65 pounds since I started, around the first of October. Although I'm happy to have made that much progress, my wardrobe is sad, sad, sad. I have absolutely nothing that fits any more. Once I can drive again, shopping for new clothes will be at the top of my to-do list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the progress.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on both things...improvement with your knee and your continued weight loss! I think Dan should drive you to the mall and help you shop!!

Genie

Oma Hagen said...

Wow - 65 pounds! That's great, Linda, and I'm sure you feel much better for it. Keep up the good work - on both fronts! Laura