Friday, June 21, 2013

Showers, Shavers and Sheets


Taking a shower is getting easier, but at first was a little scary. The effort took a lot out of me, and I'd get light headed and shaky. Call me silly; call it a "girl" thing; but it was really bothering me that I couldn't safely shave my legs. I just knew I'd end up with nicks and cuts all over, using a blade in the shower.

On Sunday evening Dan came home from church and handed me a package, and said, "Happy Father's Day." Inside was an electric shaver - the perfect solution to this awkward situation! I was so surprised. He's always been a little coy about "girl stuff," so I knew that nothing but true love would have compelled him to make a purchase like this. Turns out he asked my good friend, Wynn, to go with him and help with the purchase. She loved being able to help out, and enjoyed teasing me the next day, with a text message, "Are your legs beautiful and unhairy?"

I'll always smile when I think of this quirky gift from Dan. But all humor aside, I never could have gotten through these two weeks without him. He's been proving his "in sickness and in health" vows in living color.

He fixes our meals and washes the dishes every day. Thursday morning he stripped the bed and washed the sheets, then remade the bed before evening. He taxis me to appointments and to the pharmacy, when needed. When I want to shower he sets up my shower bench, then sits outside the bathroom door while I shower, just in case I should slip or should need help. He cheers me on through difficult PT sessions, and heaps praise on me for my progress. Today he went grocery shopping and bought me an amazon.com gift card so I could keep my Kindle supplied with good reads.

Since my surgery was in June, Dan got cheated out of both Father's Day and anniversary. Last Saturday was our 44th anniversary. I'll try to make it up to him when I'm back on my feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are doing a bit better...it takes time, but you will get there...hang in there! By the way, your husband is a keeper! :)

Oma Hagen said...

Nice to hear you're pushing through and doing well. So nice to have a hubby who is so supportive. Good job, Dan! -Laura