Friday, June 1, 2012

National Donut Day - First Friday in June

As most of you know, I come from a family of bakers. For many years of my childhood I awoke to the aroma of freshly frying donuts coming from the bakery beneath our apartment. How, then, could I let National Donut Day go by unobserved?!!

Temple doesn't seem to have either a Krispy Kreme or a Dunkin' Donuts shop, but there are a couple Shipley's Donut Shops. So Dan and I made the trip to Shipley's, this afternoon, in honor of National Donut Day. We were pleasantly surprised to find that Shipley's was offering one free donut per customer on this special occasion.



This evening I did a little online research on National Donut Day, and found out that it isn't just another marketing gimmick. National Donut Day was established way back in 1938, to honor the women who served donuts to the US troops who were overseas in World War I.

Hurry up! You still have a few hours to hit your favorite donut shop before midnight, in honor of these national heroines. And you don't have to feel guilty about the calories - this isn't just eating donuts; it's being patriotic.

No comments: