Friday, March 18, 2011

Treasures from the Closet

Today I am cleaning out the guest room closet, which is where I have scads of photographs from all stages of our lives. I don't have time to sort through all of them right now, so they are going by handfuls into three plastic bins. Every now and then, though, I can't help but stop and dwell on one. Here's one that caught my eye -- my dad, my mom, and my grandma, all in their Sunday go-to-meeting attire. I don't know when it was taken, exactly, but the reflection in the windows of the trailer behind them looks like Thunderbird Terrace (Juneau), where they lived in 1969, when Dan and I got married.

Assuming this was taken around 1969, that would mean that Grandma would have been in her late 60s, which is considerably younger than my mom is, now. Wait a minute . . . that would actually make Grandma, in this picture, closer to my own current age, than to my mom's! Wow! Can that be right?


And here's another one I thought I'd post. When Chris was just five weeks old, I took him to Anchorage for a church lectureship. One morning I was in the church kitchen, helping to prepare lunch for everyone, and laid my sleeping baby in an apple box. Someone took his picture and sent it to me later. I always loved that it said, "Special Box." It certainly was special that day!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Papa John said...

Both pictures are precious. Why can't things stay the same longer??? This was your folk's heyday and I'm blessed to have known them in the height of their prime. I made a better man of me.

Anonymous said...

Those are both wonderful pictures. But on that age stuff....just hard to believe.

Love,

GR