Friday, July 23, 2010

It's All a Matter of Perspective

I'm not ready to sit for a portrait yet, but the second of my skin surgeries is healing, and I think I'll be fine going without a bandage starting tomorrow.

Last Sunday morning we went to Starbuck's, before Bible class, for a bite to eat and something to drink. As I placed my order at the counter and then sat at a table, I was feeling a little conspicuous because of the bandage on my face . . . until a young woman came in to buy her latte. She had a number of studs through her lips, both upper and lower; a ring in her nose; and a metal stud in the center of one of her cheeks. All I could think of was, "she did this to herself on PURPOSE!"

As we were leaving, I told Dan that I didn't feel nearly as self-conscious, any more, about my small BandAid.

No comments: