Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hot Diggity Dog!

This morning Dan and I met up with a group of folks from church to do a major shuffle of classrooms for the new quarter, which begins tomorrow. It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end. All the rooms have now been shined up, cleaned out and reorganized, from drawers to cabinets to cubbies to bulletin boards. My adorable two- and three-year olds will now be in a bigger and nicer classroom. Woohoo!

It was nearly two o'clock by the time we took a lunch break. Several of us went to Dion's for sandwiches or pizza, and we were all ecstatic to see this bit of Americana in the parking lot, near the entrance to Smith's Supermarket. The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile driver was inviting people to step up and explore the Wienermobile's inner sanctum. I did not go inside, but did poke my head in for a quick look-see.



In front of the vehicle was a sign with some interesting Wienermobie facts. I'll share a few.
  • The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile is 24 hot dogs high, 60 hot dogs long, 18 hot dogs wide and 140,500 hot dogs in weight (translation: 11 ft. high, 27 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, and 14,050 lbs).
  • It is described as a "grilled fiberglass hot dog resting on a lightly toasted fiberglass bun."
  • It is a converted Chevy that runs on "high-octane mustard."
  • It has a hot dog shaped dashboard, a removable "bunroof", six mustard and ketchup colored seats, blue sky ceiling art and an official Wiener Jingle Horn.
  • Carl Mayer, nephew of Oscar Mayer, designed the first Oscar Mayer Wienermobile in 1936.
  • The Wienerwhistle (see photo below) was developed in 1952 and was included in packages of Oscar Mayer wieners in 1958. I don't remember getting one then, but I got mine today. Tweeeeeeeeeet!

And, yes, it's been running through my head all day . . .

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener,
That is what I'd really like to be,
'Cuz if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener
Everyone would be in love with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone IS in love with you, Linda!!!

GR

(was Dan the least bit tempted to trade in his car on it???)