Friday, May 22, 2009

High Tech Meets Low Tech

On my birthday, in January, Tim gave me a beautiful card that held lots of love and some birthday money. I knew exactly what that money was going to be used for. It would be the beginning of my Kindle purchase fund. Kindle is the electronic book reader, sold by Amazon. For a number of reasons I thought it would be just the ticket for me.

Since January I worked to build the fund and, by Mother's Day, was getting close to the purchase price. As a Mother's Day gift, Dan surprised me with the remainder of the amount needed, and I wasted no time in placing my order from Amazon. My Kindle arrived the day before we left on our Texas trip. I loaded it up with some good reading material, and packed it in my bag. When I ordered it, though, I didn't think about how I would protect the screen when I dropped it into a bag. Once it was in my hands, I knew I'd need to do something, but there wasn't time to order a cover for it and have it before we left.

Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. So I took an old, cotton dish towel, and wrapped the Kindle up in it before tucking it away. That stylish dish-towel-Kindle-cover went with me all of those 1754 miles that I mentioned in an earlier post. The Kindle was taken out and tucked back into the towel dozens of times.



Once I got home, I ordered a cover, and it arrived today. Ahhhhh. No more worries about damaging the screen! It's safe to drop it in my bag and go. But, I have to confess that a part of me misses the quizzical looks - sometimes even big grins - I got from people who saw me carefully wrapping my high-tech book reader in the old cotton dish towel.



I'm thrilled with my purchase, by the way. It was worth saving for. But my recommendation to anyone thinking of buying one is to buy a protective cover at the same time. Or, if you prefer, stock up on some stylish cotton dish towels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything low tech about you!

Anonymous said...

that was from me...GR,

I can't even remember to sign my name!