Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Response to the Election

Yesterday's election results are in. The victor in this 2008 Presidential election is Barack Obama. He was not my choice.

I've been perusing some reader comments on both foxnews.com and usatoday.com. A large percentage of those comments are no more than bitter and vicious verbal attacks, coming from both sides. I find such talk grievous and disturbing.

My goal, in this respect, is to be like my favorite Bible hero, the man after God's own heart, David. Even when King Saul, in a jealous rage, was trying to kill David; and even when David had the perfect opportunity to take the King's life; David chose, instead, to honor Saul and spare his life, because Saul was serving as King through God's appointment.

I may not have voted for Barack Obama, but it appears that he will be the president of my country. My duty is to honor our leaders (1 Peter 2:17), pray that God will grant them wisdom and character to face the challenges that will come their way (1 Timothy 2:1-4), support them in what is good, and respect their office even though I may be compelled to voice convictions that stand in opposition to certain of their policies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Linda. My thoughts exactly.
E.M.