Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Terrific Blog - Take a Look

I don't recall how I stumbled upon it, but somehow, some time ago, I discovered a blog titled "WW1: Experiences of an English Soldier." The blog is made up of transcripts of surviving letters from World War I, penned by William Henry Bonser Lamin, born in England on August 1887. What is especially interesting is that the author of the blog posts each of the letters on, exactly, the 90th anniversary of when it was written. As he says, "To find out Harry's fate, follow the blog!" It's just as if you are receiving the letters, one at a time, yourself.

Since the blog started July 1, 2006, you'll want to read it "backward," starting with the first post, which is easy to do, since the author has put a "Start Here" button that stays on the newest page and takes you back to the first post. It doesn't work quite like a book. To make sense of the whole blog, take the link to the "First Posts," work from the bottom entry upwards and then take the "Newer posts" link at the bottom of each page for the next installment.

I've only skipped around, reading a letter here and a letter there, and even then it has been fascinating. But that's not the way to do it. They are meant to be read in order, of course, and I want to do that, beginning very soon.

I've not explained this blog well; I've not done it justice. You need to go look at it yourself. Talk about living history! It's really something. If you are a history buff - and even if you're not - you'll find it fascinating.

(Betty W., this seems like something you'd really enjoy reading, considering the book you wrote. Liz L., HISTORY! Isn't that your thing? Gloria R., I know you love things like this. I remember our day at the Balloon Museum.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I DO love it! What a great way to tell that story!

My maternal grandfather was sent to fight in France during WW I but on the ship over caught the flu in the flu pandemic in 1917 and never fought in the war. I have a fancy padded leather burgundy stationery box that was my grandmother's that she saved all of Grandpa's letters in. I don't know where all the letters are. Mom also has several postcards he collected during the war and photos he took. He was always into photography. There are a couple of photos he took that I am sure are of a surrender and I would love to find out where it was. They are so interesting and unique. I should ask my two uncles that live near our area if they know anything about it.

I haven't enjoyed all of that post yet but I will. Thanks so much for sending it, Linda.