Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Connections

When I first started blogging, I felt a little silly about it. In fact, even now I sort of mumble the word "blog" when I'm telling someone about it ("I was writing, this morning, in my bl-ahem-o-cough-mumble-g. . ."). But I want to share with you how my blog has helped to make several fun and interesting personal connections.

The first connection you know about if you've been reading my blog from the beginning (specifically here and here). Do you remember my successful efforts to locate Ruby, my long-lost pen pal? Ruby was my pen pal from fifth grade through our early motherhood years. And then we lost track of each other. When I wrote my blog about pen pals, it inspired me to do the Internet research necessary to find her - and I did! She's living minutes away from Chris, Kelsey and Sweetpea. And her daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids live right here in Albuquerque, just minutes from me! During this Christmas season, I'm happy to say, we've made plans to get together.

The second connection happened in a round-about way. My friend, Gloria, began reading my blog. That inspired her, one night, to look at Kelsey's blog, which mentioned their good friends, Becky and Glenn. As Gloria, then, dug into Becky's blog (I guess you could call her a chain-blogger), lo and behold, she discovered that Becky's mother, Karen, is her (Gloria's) long lost friend from high school. Karen was even a bridesmaid in Gloria's wedding. Bingo! Connection #2

There is a third connection, but it is so convoluted that I don't dare try to explain it. It would leave you scratching your head, I'm sure. It involves friends we had from our first time in Juneau, friends of Gloria's, and two sets of African missionaries. Trust me. It's complicated-connection #3.

Besides these complex connections, I've also re-connected with Betty, Genie and JoAnne - all old friends - because they found their way to my blog (or, in Betty's case, I found my way to hers).

My point here is that technology, such as the Internet or blogging, sometimes gets a black eye, because it is often used for nefarious purposes. But, like most things in this world, it's not the "thing" that's good or bad, but how we, as people, use it.

James 1:17 - Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Linda has made AMAZING connections with her blog or as a result of her blog!! Her unbelievable conection #3 that was too complicated to explain was just that...complicated. But the Lord used her for me with that blog that day. I was so sad at seeing Andrew and Aimee Jo off to Africa and so sad for their parents. When Linda referred me to the blog of a friend who had been in a missionary family in Africa and who had also said good bye to Andrew and Aimee Jo the Sunday before along with their church family...I knew that Linda's missionary friend knew just what we were feeling...and she had written just the right words in her blog that I needed to read at that moment. So, thanks, Linda for that connection.

If you had lived in a different place and time, there is no doubt that you would have been the "matchmaker". (Well, I guess in some places you would have had to change your gender for that job...).

Your daily prayers are very much coveted for Andrew and Aimee Jo in Uganda. If anyone wants to see their blog site...yo can reach me...through Linda, of course!

Thanks,

Gloria