Thursday, October 11, 2007

Embracing My Work

I read a quote, recently. It said:
"The way to make your work easier is not by avoiding it or resenting it. The way to make your work easier is by embracing it with gratitude and enthusiasm." -- Ralph Marston
I took a day of annual leave yesterday, in order to "embrace" (with gratitude and enthusiasm) the vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, dusting, straightening, folding, hanging, scrubbing, sheet changing, bill paying, and grout sealing that my house has been begging for recently. Of course, the work is never really "done." But, the tasks I did complete made a big impact, and I feel good to have turned semi-chaos into semi-order.

Not only did I get all that house work done, but I also baked two peach pies, from the peaches off our back yard tree. One was for us and the other was for our neighbors, Dave and Lorraine, who are always sharing home-grown produce with us (yes, zucchini, of course! but also tomatoes and fruit). Here are the pies, cooling on the counter.

I seldom take a day off, unless we are traveling, but having a day like yesterday, to catch up on so many things at home, really felt like a luxury. It's the next-best thing to having someone else clean the house.

No comments: