Monday, October 22, 2007

Chris' 17th Birthday

When Chris turned 17 he said he didn't want a birthday party. "But," he said, "Could I just invite two or three friends over for dinner on Friday? And then maybe we'll go to a movie?" That sounded nice to me, so, on his birthday I prepared for a few friends to show up for dinner. And, as I had done for the 16 preceding years, I baked and decorated a birthday cake for him, despite his claim that he didn't want a party.


Dinner was almost ready when the doorbell rang. It was Rebekah, from the youth group. "Hi Rebekah," I said. "Come on in." Next came Sheralyn and then Brenda. That's when it dawned on me that something was very different about this birthday party. I had been expecting, perhaps, Carl, Rusty and Brady; not Rebekah, Sheralyn and Brenda!

Chris and the three girls had a great time talking and laughing through dinner and dessert. Then Chris shepherded his little flock of lovely lasses out the door and to the mall for a movie. Dan looked at me, after they went out the door, and said, "I don't know what he's got, but if he could bottle "it" and sell "it," he'd be rich!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris had some special charisma, didn't he? I'll bet the girls who were invited felt very special to share his day. Nanny

Kelsey said...

He's intoxicating alright.