Friday, August 3, 2007

Ruby Has Been Found!

I can't believe how many years I've wondered about Ruby, and how easy it actually was to find her! After I wrote my pen pal blog, I decided I'd give it a try. After all, I did work in a private investigator's office for a year -- didn't I learn anything there?

So I went on-line, looked up everyone in Ennis, Texas, with her maiden name, in hopes that I might find a family member. I don't really know what I thought I'd find. I didn't know her old address, and I knew her name had changed. But as I scanned the list before me, one address just jumped right out at me. I had no idea that I knew her old address, but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the one I had written so many times, on so many envelopes, so many years ago. I immediately dashed off a brief note addressed to the person with her last name at that address, telling him who I was, asking if he happened to be kin to Ruby, and providing my email address.

Last night I got the most wonderful email, from Ruby herself. It was her dad who received my letter, and he called Ruby right away. She has been looking for me for years, even going so far as to contact my old high school to see if they kept alumni records. This morning I had a second long email from her. And here are a couple of amazing things. Ruby has a step daughter living in Albuquerque, and comes to visit her a couple times a year! And Ruby, herself, lives in the same town as my kids and Sweetpea! We'll get to have a reunion one of these days!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Oh my gosh. That is awesome! What did we do before the internet?